Under the direction of the Administrator, the Director of Nursing Services Registered Nurse RN is responsible for the administration and management of Nursing Services to residents in accordance with orders of the physicians and total needs of the residents. Responsible for 24-hour supervision of Nursing Services.
Director of Nursing Services Registered Nurse RN QUALIFICATIONS
• A graduate from an accredited school of professional nursing.
• Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the state in which practicing.
• Experienced or trained in nursing service administration, rehabilitation, psychiatric or geriatric nursing.
• One or more years of demonstrated ability in nursing administration and/or supervision in a health
• Demonstrates knowledge of and ability to apply basic principles of nursing care and teaching.
• Demonstrates leadership ability and capability to work effectively with all levels of personnel.
• Maintains an interest and knowledge of current trends and new developments in nursing and health
• Demonstrates interest and ability to work effectively with the public.
• A desire to work with geriatric and disabled persons.
• Ability to generate enthusiasm and cooperation from others.
• Ability to develop and maintain good interpersonal relationships.
• Possession of good emotional and physical health.
• Ability to communicate effectively in English through both speech and writing.
• A genuine interest in and respect for people and a desire to be of service to them.
• Ability to accept and work with persons with different social and cultural traits.
• Ability to work in a long-term care environment.
Director of Nursing Services Registered Nurse RN GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assumes ultimate responsibility for coordinating plans for the total care of each resident which comply with physician’s orders, governmental regulations and facility resident care policies.
• Develops, maintains and upgrades nursing service objectives, standards for nursing practice, nursing procedure manuals and written job descriptions for each level of nursing personnel.
• Participates in the recruitment, selection, hiring, orientation, training and dismissal of nursing personnel.
Job Descriptions Manual
Director of Nursing Services Registered Nurse (RN)
• All Licensed Staff
• Certified and Non-Certified Nursing Assistants
• Restorative Nursing Assistants
• Assists in controlling nursing service hours and supply costs, including recommendation for the number and type of nursing personnel to be employed and nursing service equipment and supply needs.
• Participates in admission and discharge planning for residents.
• Maintains contact with physicians as necessary according to resident needs, facility policies and
• Evaluates information to be shared with outside nursing personnel and allied services for continuity of
• Assess community resources that may be utilized to improve resident care.
• Maintains good interpersonal relationships with residents and their families, nursing personnel, allied
professional services and the community.
• Periodically visits residents to ensure maximum care and to ascertain need to additional or modified
• Participates in professional organization activities, identifies and meets educations need of staff
through meeting and in-service classes.
• Attends and participates in all required meetings, conferences and policy making committees in the
• Promotes a safe environment within the facility, which includes fire and accident prevention,
maintenance of sanitary conditions and assurance that all nursing personnel understand their roles in
the event of a disaster or other disruption of services.
• Assures that an adequate orientation and in-service training program is provided for all nursing
• Confers daily with the Administrator regarding current status of nursing services and submits written
reports as requested.
• Assigns duties and delegates responsibilities to nursing personnel according to their abilities.
• Evaluates performance of nursing personnel reporting to her/him and maintains evaluation records.
• Coordinates nursing service with other resident care services provided; such as physician, dietary,
occupational, physical and speech therapies, resident activities, social services, medical records and
• Assures that a resident Plan of Care is established for each resident and that the plan is reviewed and
modified as needed.
• Encourages staff development and professional growth.
• Assures adequate 24-hour nursing coverage in the facility each day.
• Designates a responsible professional nurse to be in charge of the nursing service during the absence
of the Nursing Director.
• Provide close supervision and direction to the Charge Nurses to continually improve the nursing care
• Reviews and corrects findings and deficiencies of Pharmacy Consultant, Department of Health
Services, Dietary Consultant, Medical Records Consultant, Quality Assurance Team and prevent re-
occurrence by implementation of recommendations and follow through.
• Maintains quality assurance in facility by frequent nursing rounds and continuous assessment of
resident conditions from admission through discharge.
• Assumes responsibility for investigation of alleged abuse or unusual occurrence as outlined within our
established policies and procedures.
Job Descriptions Manual
• Presents professional image to consumers through dress, behavior and speech.
• Adheres to Company standards for resolving consumer concerns.
• Ensures that all resident rights are protected.