OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
Fox CorporationUnder the FOX banner, we produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands, including: FOX News, FOX Sports, the Fox Network, and the FOX Television Stations. We empower a diverse range of creators to imagine and develop culturally significant content, while building an organization that thrives on creative ideas, operational expertise and strategic thinking.
Fox Corporation is seeking an Intellectual Property Lawyer, with an emphasis on the trademark area, to join the Intellectual Property group situated within the Fox corporate legal department. In partnership with the various Fox Corporation businesses (Fox Entertainment, Fox Sports, Fox Television Stations, Fox News, and Tubi), you will be primarily responsible for all facets of trademark practice, including, clearance, prosecution, and enforcement. You will partner with outside patent counsel to help protect company innovations and intellectual property and contribute to a wide range of intellectual property-related transactions, including intellectual property elements of M&A transactions. You will also assist with the litigation of intellectual property-related matters. The position is based in Los Angeles, with a hybrid work option available.
A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Providing IP expertise and strategic counsel on a wide range of copyright, trademark, publicity rights, and related issues in support of the company’s various businesses and development initiatives, including acquisitions, equity investments, and related transactions
- Conducting trademark and title clearance searches; preparing clearance memos; and advising on trademark, copyright, rights of publicity and privacy, and other production clearance issues
- Developing and implementing trademark filing strategies; filing and prosecuting U.S. and foreign trademark applications; overseeing U.S. and foreign trademark oppositions, cancellations, and appeals; and maintaining a global trademark portfolio
- Advising on trademark enforcement strategies; reviewing international watch notices and online infringement matters; drafting “cease and desist” letters; filing oppositions and cancellations against third-party infringers, and reviewing IP litigation claims
- Partnering with outside counsel to manage and grow the company’s patent portfolio and protect the company from inbound patent claims
- Assisting with the negotiation and drafting IP agreements, including trademark licenses, consumer products agreements, co-existence agreements, and assignments
- Conducting IP due diligence and negotiating and drafting IP provisions and agreements
- Advising on day-to-day IP issues, including production of television content, advertising, marketing, online presence, licensing, notice language, and acquisitions and divestitures
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- At least 7 years of IP prosecution and portfolio management experience at a law firm and/or large company
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school with superior academic credentials
- Member in good standing of the California Bar, or willing to register with the state bar as Registered In-House Counsel
- Experience managing global trademark portfolios, including handling clearance, and prosecution
- Experience with IP enforcement matters, including opposition and cancellation proceedings, claim letters, and related litigation
- Familiarity with patent prosecution and litigation
- Strong oral and written communication, negotiation, interpersonal, and critical thinking skills
- Ability to act decisively with sound judgment in time-sensitive situations
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced, dynamic, business-driven environment, often with little direct supervision
NICE TO HAVE BUT NOT A DEALBREAKER
- Litigation experience
- Entertainment/media industry knowledge
- Litigation experience
- Some experience with patents
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
At FOX, we foster a culture and environment where everyone feels welcome and can thrive. We are deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including attracting, retaining, and promoting diverse talent across our company. We live in a diverse world, with different ideas and different perspectives that come together to spark new ideas and make great things happen. That means reflecting the diversity of the world around us is critical to our company’s success. We ensure that our viewers, communities and employees feel heard, represented, and celebrated both on screen and off.
Click here to learn more about the diverse communities of people behind our brands.
Pursuant to state and local pay disclosure requirements, the pay range for this role, with final offer amount dependent on education, skills, experience, and location is: $180,000.00-240,500.00 annually for California. This role is also eligible for an annual discretionary bonus, various benefits, including medical/dental/vision, insurance, a 401(k) plan, paid time off, and other benefits in accordance with applicable plan documents. Benefits for Union represented employees will be in accordance with the applicable collective bargaining agreement.