Position: Special Events and Strategic Initiatives Manager
Organization: After School All-Stars
Reports to: President
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Founded in 1992, After-School All-Stars (ASAS) provides free comprehensive afterschool programs and support services year-round for students and their families. ASAS serves approximately 80,000 PreK-12th grade students and their families annually in high-poverty communities through 19 active affiliate chapters with established partnerships at over 450 elementary, middle, and high schools in 60 cities across the continental United States and Hawaii. Our vision is for our All-Stars to be safe and healthy, to graduate high school and go on to college, to find a career they love, and to give back to their communities.
A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY:
After-School All-Stars is looking for a responsible Special Events and Strategic Initiatives Manager who will be supervising all aspects of logistics for the national office of After-School All-Stars (ASAS) Special Events as well various strategic initiatives from the Executive Office. This role will support the organization s largest events including The Westime Charity Night; Executive Retreat, Strategy Week, RISE Fellowship and various strategic initiatives and new events. The role will be part of the Executive Office, reporting directly to the President, and working closely with CEO and Chief of Staff (COS).
- Responsible for internal & external communication of production timelines and needs: planning and running of pre-event meetings and post-event debriefs and event ROI evaluation
- Prepare timely progress reports on production
- Participate in event meetings (some nights and weekends required)
- Prepare and distribute documents for meetings
- Manage inventory & upkeep of storage of event items
- Evaluate and integrate event management, payment apps, systems with other existing ASAS assets
- Work with Marketing on tech needs for event production
- Prepare budgets and assure deadlines are met
- Responsible for the timely upkeep and adherence of all Special Events budgets and reconciliation with Finance and Development Operations
- Year-round solicitation and procurement of auction packages, manage auction production logistics (timeline, production, mapping, load-in, set up/tear down, payment processing, shipping, fulfillment)
- Work with Development, Marketing on sponsors from pitch to fulfillment
- Manage integration of vendors: production companies, rentals, audio, visual
- Manage event guest experience and check-in/out
- Manage logistic integration of sponsors (delivery, proper display, etc.)
DEVELOPMENT and FUNDRAISING
- Work with Development to ensure donors, VIPs are adequately handled
EXPANDED WESTIME CHARITY NIGHT FUNDRAISING WEEKEND
- Work with CEO, President, Development to create auxiliary events, including ASAS Fan Appreciation event, and create additional affinity group gatherings and manage logistics
- Partner with the President on the implementation, logistics, scheduling of the RISE Fellowship, a leadership cohort for emerging organization leaders
EXECUTIVE TEAM RETREAT
- Support Executive Team, EA to the President to plan retreat (venue rental, catering, ordering supplies, travel) and any other staff convenings planned in conjunction
ASAS STRATEGY WEEK
- In collaboration with President, lead planning and execution of network-wide, multi-track, annual strategy week with staff to set strategy and culture.
- Manage overall timeline: logistics, production, sessions, guest experience
- Manage staff planning meetings (preparing and distributing materials, keep staff on track for session & logistical planning)
- Source lodging, flights, meals, special outings, A/V, and key vendors; serve as primary point of contact
- Collaborate to integrate external stakeholders and sponsors
- Collaborate with Marketing to design collateral
- Collaborate with the President and network leaders on session content
- Manage budget and expense reconciliation
- Partner with COS on Board operations (meeting planning, logistics, committee meetings)
- Partner with the CEO, President on strategic initiatives (Growth and Impact Fund, ASAS Uvalde, and other cross-departmental work): scheduling, material creation, timelines, project management.
CHAPTER EVENT SUPPORT
- Create event toolkits (marketing, production and best practices around donor and board involvement)
- Provide trainings on event logistics models via webinar
- Join occasional meetings with chapter staff to ensure event planning processes are aligned with best practice.
- Support COS, Development, Marketing to cultivate of influencer relationships
- Work with Marketing on fundraising platform campaigns
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
The Special Events and Strategic Initiatives Manager will embody ASAS s core values: entrepreneurial, collaborative, transparent, accountable, and proactive, and demonstrate a passion for ASAS work and mission to provide high-quality afterschool programs for low-income youth that help them succeed in school and in life. We are seeking a unique individual who possesses a combination of skills and attributes and fits in with a collaborative and highly engaged team. The successful candidate will also possess:
- PR and marketing experience, including working with influencers and high-profile individuals.
- Exceptional organization, data-manipulation, and logistics skills including exceptional written and verbal communications skills required
- Ability to work as part of a team; and a tenacious commitment to achievement of agreed-upon budgets and timelines
- Experience organizing events, conferences and/or retreats, both virtual and in-person preferred
- Strong computer skills, knowledge of the MS Office Suite: word processing, database operations, spreadsheets, and other software systems; experience with CRM (Raiser s Edge); other event apps and systems are a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ethnicities, nationalities, sexual orientations, socio-economic backgrounds, religions, ages, English-speaking abilities, and physical abilities in a multicultural environment.
- Strong passion for our mission
- College degree in a field that relates to the inter-disciplinary function of the role
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications and experience of the individual candidate. ASAS promotes a healthy work/life blend and offers a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, a 403b match, and generous vacation time.
ASAS is an equal opportunity employer and candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SPECIAL EVENTS AND STRATEGIC INITIATIVES MANAGER ROLE:
Please submit a resume and cover letter via e-mail to: …@afterschoolallstars.org
Your cover letter should be in PDF format, addressed to the President, and indicate how your experience is relevant to this role with After-School All-Stars. Please put Special Events and Strategic Initiatives Manager and your last name in the subject heading.
LEARN MORE ABOUT AFTER SCHOOL ALL-STARS:
To learn more about ASAS, please visit our website: www.afterschoolallstars.org