Principal Investigator, Ivan Vujkovic-Cvijin, PhD, is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the team!
The Vujkovic-Cvijin Laboratory studies the role of the gut microbiota – the community of viruses, bacteria, fungi, and protists that inhabit our gut – in inflammatory diseases. The laboratory leverages novel computational (Vujkovic-Cvijin et al. 2020, Nature, DOI: 10.1038/s41586-020-2881-9) and experimental (Vujkovic-Cvijin et al. 2021, biorXiv, DOI: 10.1101/2021.08.17.456549) methodologies to identify disease-promoting gut microbes, to unlock how they contribute to inflammatory disease, and to develop tools to edit the microbiota to remove such disease-causing constituents. We utilize a combination of microbiome science, computational biology, and immunology to understand host-microbe relationships within this complex system and especially in inflammatory bowel disease. Our goal is to move discoveries out of laboratories and into effective novel treatments. To learn more, please visit Vujkovic-Cvijin Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai.
The Vujkovic-Cvijin Laboratory exists within the Cedars-Sinai Inflammatory Bowel and Immunology Research Institute (IBIRI), which focuses on chronic inflammatory conditions of the intestines, including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. The gastroenterology and gastrointestinal (GI) surgery program at Cedars-Sinai is the No. 2 program nationwide, facilitating state-of-the-art science aimed at understanding human gastrointestinal medical conditions.
Working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator and other Research scientists, the Postdoctoral Scientist will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout the training period, including the use of murine models to study gut pathologies, flow cytometry, and in vitro human experiments. As a Postdoctoral Scientist, you may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques, and protocols, as well as analyze, interpret, summarize, and compile exciting new data.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Will participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- Operates and aids in the maintenance of equipment and instruments.
Minimum of a Doctorate (MD or Ph.D.) with an emphasis in Immunology.
Experience and Skillset:
- Independently works on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within an area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist – Vujkovic-Cvijin Lab – Immunology
Department: Home Dept – Gastroenterology
Business Entity: Academic / Research
Job Category: Academic/Research
Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Base Pay:$64,500.00 – $93,600.00