Company: Security Services Holdings d/b/a Protos Security
Job Title: Human Resources Manager
Reports to: Executive Director of Operations
FLSA Code: Exempt; Full-time Salary
Location: Los Angeles, California
Security Services Holdings d/b/a Protos Security and its subsidiaries provide technology enabled end-to-end security guard management services across the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. The company, headquartered in Norwalk, CT, has offices in New York, NY, Katy, TX, Daleville, VA, Norcross, GA, Los Angeles, CA, and Chicago, IL, is an emerging leader in the security service sector. Superior management processes combined with the security guard industry’s best technology ensures better service and measurable cost savings.
Security Services Holdings d/b/a Protos Security is looking for a Human Resources Manager for one of our subsidiaries, Squad Security, at our Los Angeles, California, location.
The Human Resources Manager will be responsible for overseeing general operations of the HR function in our Los Angeles, CA, office to ensure effectiveness and excellence in processes and procedures, policies, and other HR systems/programs. This position will be responsible for supporting 300 employees in California. The Human Resources Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of employee relations, recruitment and selection, data management, benefit administration, and other human resources functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Core duties and responsibilities include the following.
- Oversee and improve HR operations including recruiting, new hire processing, employee changes, compliance, and HRIS management
- Ensure maintenance of applicant application files and applicant flow log. Prepare employee personnel files and maintain accurate, up-to-date information on each employee
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law
- Ensure compliance with all government regulations Federal and State including Unemployment, Form I9, EEO, AAP, ADA, ACA, OSHA, FLSA, Wage and Hour, FMLA, and all federal, state, or local requirements
- Manage HR Operations to ensure accuracy, consistency, and efficiency; set objectives and track progress
- Monitor internal HR recordkeeping, systems, and databases; monitor key HR metrics and produce reports
- Coordinate the design and implementation of organization/HR policies, job classification system, and maintain the Employee Handbook
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommend best practices; review policies and practices to maintain compliance
- Act as a consultant to managers and staff regarding internal processes and employee relations
- Partner with leadership teams across the company to provide best practices, recommend HR process improvements and implement system enhancements that improve HR offerings to employees
- Provide training, advice, and guidance to management staff on employee relations issues Provide the tools to ensure employee satisfaction and growth
- Explain available benefit programs, answer employee questions, and assist with enrollment process
- Perform other duties as assigned
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments
- Attendance/Punctuality – Consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan
- Initiative – Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required
- Minimum of 5+ years of Human Resources experience preferred
- SPHR, or SHRM-CP strongly preferred
- Excellent working knowledge of California (including San Francisco) employment laws
- Excellent experience in compliance
- Prior experience with multi-state locations is a plus
- Knowledge of HRIS systems and databases; ADP Workforce Now experience preferred
- Payroll Systems (ADP Workforce Now)
- Microsoft Office
- Spreadsheet Software (Excel) intermediate/high-level
Other Skills, Abilities, and Qualifications:
- Excellent judgment and discretion; ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously, meet deadlines, and handle work-related stress is required
- Remain calm and professional in stressful situations
- Detail oriented while maintaining an extremely positive attitude
- Experience with conflict resolution
- Must be able to multi-task and work independently and productively with minimum supervision.
- Recognize problems, identify possible causes, and resolve routine problems
- Team player with a “can do” attitude that can work in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to work outside of regular business hours which will include nights and weekends to meet deadlines
Travel is expected for approximately 10%
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Health, Vision, Life, and Dental Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account/Health Savings Account
- Retirement Plan 401(k)
- Paid Time Off Package
About the Company
Security Services Holdings d/b/a Protos Security acquired Squad Security in October 2022. Squad Security, established in 1992, is a privately held corporation that specializes in armed security and private investigations. The company has over 300 employees across our California locations.
Squad Security’s goal is to provide professional and dedicated service to all clients. Quality service, integrity, and accountability are priorities when dealing with our clients. Our mission is to provide a safe, secure, and comfortable environment for our clients and our employees. Our concerns are the integrity of our client’s information and the safety and well-being of all the occupants of our secured locations. Integrity, honesty, and dedication are required of all our employees.