Overview: Under the direction of the Director of Clinical Informatics, and in collaboration with leadership, employees, and Information Systems, the Clinical Informatics Specialist/Physician Liaison is responsible for supporting clinical documentation processes and applications to providers and clinical staff.
This position requires strong analytical and facilitator skills to identify documentation requirements and design documentation systems to support best practice guidelines in patient care processes and work flow.
This position oversees adequate training and support for documentation compliance; implementation and coordination of workflow and upgrade improvements to the clinical documentation system.
· Serves as an expert resource and communication liaison between project team members as it relates to developing, testing, implementing, and maintaining the components of the EMR system.
· Participate in all levels of project including but not limited to the development, testing and implementation of the clinical components within the software.
· Develop and maintain training materials and processes.
· Serve as liaison between Information Systems (IS), Physician, Nursing and other hospital departments, as well as vendor representatives and coordinate implementation and maintenance processes.
· Work closely with IS, physician and nursing staff to understand system programming requirements, capabilities and limitations, as well as to implement requested ordering and decision support tools in the EMR system.
· Coordinate pathways programming as it relates to order maintenance, rules, alerts, and decision support programming and other clinical system enhancements.
· Perform testing of programmed applications, medication-related order sets, logic and databases performed by programmers, to confirm completion of desired programming tools.
Assure areas of concern are corrected in a timely and accurate manner.
· Work with users at various levels of the organization to determine operational needs and information processing options as it relates to EMR system and clinical informatics.
· Monitor use of specific applications and system functions such as order entry; assure existing systems are processing effectively and accurately according to project objectives at go live.
· Assist with project documentation preparation and implementation.
· Assist in assuring system trainer competence as it relates to end-user training for future projects and enhancements.
· Participate in the identification and resolution of system (application) problems and procedures.
Develop solutions to the identified problems.
· Attend implementation and operational meeting to facilitate communication with service providers, end users, and offer solutions to clinical staff and IS departmental issues.
· Assist in the coordination of training.
· Demonstrates a self-directed work effort.
Communication and Teamwork.
· Utilize effective communication techniques with all employees, vendors, consultants, leadership, and physicians to promote electronic documentation systems and work processes that support quality patient care.
· Demonstrates ability to participate as a team member, sharing mutual goals and a common mission.
Demonstrates respect and cooperative relationships.
· Demonstrates good interpersonal skills in all interactions.
All communications, verbal and written should demonstrate commitment to customer service and excellence.
· Demonstrates commitment to and performs quality work.
Assumes responsibility and accountability for his/her actions.
· To meet the challenges of a consistently changing product, demonstrates timely response and problem solving abilities.
· Facilitates collaboration among team members utilizing conflict resolution and chain of command as necessary.
· Maintain confidentiality of all patient and hospital information at all times as defined by HIPPA.
· Display a positive attitude within the department and across departmental lines to contribute to overall customer satisfaction.
· Participate in departmental and hospital performance improvement.
· Accountable to assist in meeting TJC and Title XXII requirements, and other regulatory agencies as applicable.
· Comply with all established hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
· Present neat appearance in proper attire, with proper hospital identification as required by hospital policy.
· Maintain acceptable attendance record with minimal absences and tardiness.
· Adhere to procedures for patient charges and prudent use of material resources.
· Complete assigned work in a timely manner.
· Complete annual departmental and hospital competencies.
· Provides tier 3 support/resource for clinical staff and participates in “call”/paging process as needed for twenty-four (24) hour operational activity of the application
· Maintain current licensure and certifications as required by hospital policy.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in healthcare related field and/or Computer Science or RN /medical discipline with experience in Informatics systemsMinimum of 2-years nursing care experience and/or healthcare technology systems experience in implementing healthcare informatics systemsCurrent California Nursing License or other licensure in healthcare fieldExperience with healthcare information systems and their use in patient care required.
Experience using work processing, database applications such as MS Access, desktop publishing, or spreadsheet software.
Knowledge of TJC and Title XXII regulations.Knowledge of scope of practice as defined in Nurse Practice Act.Excellent communication skills, verbal and writtenStrong analytical skillsFlexible scheduling to support needs for unplanned downtime and project implementation