This is a field position with access to a company car and frequent driving within your territory.
Territory: Worcester, Massachusetts territory. Travel could be upwards of 2-3 hours outside this territory
Candidate must live in or immediately near the territory.
At Preferred, we understand the importance of holistic health. To meet the diverse needs of our employees, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits:
- Short-term disability, long-term disability, and life insurance coverage are provided at no cost
- Optional benefits include enhanced life insurance and critical illness plans
- 401k plan with an employer contribution that you will receive regardless of your own contribution to the plan
- Pension Plan
- Certain positions may also be eligible for short-term incentive plans.
- Generous paid time off, offering of 25 days at hire (prorated based on start date for the first year)
- 7 days of paid sick leave
- 9 paid company holidays
- Personalized paid time off after 3 years!
- Access to Modern Health, a provider of accessible, personalized mental health care
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage options begin on the first day of employment.
- Flex Spending Accounts and Health Savings Accounts (with employer contribution) are available based on the medical plan you choose
YOUR PURPOSE AND FUNCTION IN OUR COMPANY:
The Property Claim Adjuster will investigate, evaluate, negotiate, and settle assigned claims utilizing key tools including on-site investigations, damage appraisals, and in person meetings with Preferred Mutual policyholders throughout the course of their claim. The Property Claims Adjuster will also represent the Claims Department through visitations with our agency partners.
KEY CAPABILITIES FOR SUCCESS:
- Provide an exceptional customer experience from first contact to claim closure while exuding a highly professional appearance.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to maintain a schedule and make adjustments quickly when needed.
- Promptly performs inspections of damaged property.
- Understands and displays a strong level of knowledge and understanding of building materials and construction techniques.
- Provide accurate and timely reserving of claims with an increased emphasis on the Preferred Mutual reserving philosophy.
- Prepare detailed estimates of damages utilizing Xactimate in accordance with company estimating guidelines.
- Resolve claims proactively and fairly in a manner that is reflective of coverage, liability and damages.
- Conduct thorough investigations of assigned claims, including obtaining written and/or recorded statements and pursuit of information from pertinent sources.
- Coordinate emergency repairs and loss mitigation for insureds.
- Possess an advanced knowledge of policy forms and endorsements for both personal lines and commercial lines policies.
- Display the ability to correctly apply coverage to a wide variety of claim scenarios.
- Manage and minimize expenses required as part of the adjustment process.
- Actively works to combat fraud and readily identifies scenarios or trends where fraud may be present.
- Maintain workload in accordance with company standards.
- Identify and leverage key data points in order to recognize their impact on vital reporting functions and make informed decisions resulting in better claim resolutions.
- Adjust work schedule to accommodate customer needs and/or fluctuations in work volume.
- Provide internal and external support for CAT responses when and where business and customer needs require.
- Recognize team challenges and actively engage with teammates to find solutions.
- Leverage technology as a critical component in achieving efficiencies and delivering superior customer service.
- Conduct audits and reinspections of our Independent Adjusters work as needed.
- Ensure proper file documentation and reporting are completed timely and accurately.
- Develop a rapport with brokers and agency partners.
- Work with Claims Leadership and other teams to achieve departmental and corporate goals.
- Support the Claims and Corporate Mission, Vision, and Value Proposition.
- 2+ years of experience as a property field adjuster handling claims from $0-$100,000.
- Licensed New York State General Adjuster preferred.
- Completion of or progress towards professional development coursework (i.e., AIC, CPCU, SCLA) preferred.
- Exceptional active listening skills paired with effective oral and written communication skills.
- Makes timely, definitive, and fact driven decisions.
- Knowledge of Unfair Claims Practices and state insurance regulations.
- Strong time and project management skills utilized to promote continued process improvement.
- Ability to influence critical goals and objectives of the department.
- Skilled in the areas of collaboration, group decision making, problem solving and negotiation.
- Pursues duties and interactions with absolute integrity.
- Proficiency in Xactimate estimating software including ability to sketch moderately complex building layouts within the function.
- Proficiency in technology platforms utilized by Preferred Mutual (including but not limited to Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, Hover, PLNAR and Internet-based applications).
- A drivers license in good standing is required.
- Must be physically able to inspect roofs, crawlspaces, attics and other difficult to access areas in homes/businesses.
- Normal lifting is required for the field position up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to work outside in inclement weather conditions and drive substantial distances.
- Travel frequency and distance are dependent on the home location of the individual filling this role and the location of losses as they occur. Travel will generally be within 3 hours from the individuals home location, with occasional longer assignments and occasional overnights required based on business need.
As a mutual company, we are independent by nature, so we think about insurance solutions a little differently. Through listening, problem solving, examining your challenges and collaborating on the right solutions for you, Preferred Mutual independent agents provide flexible solutions and adapt to your evolving needs. We do the same for our employees. We are process and domain experts, focused on the solutions that deliver results for our clients and our company. We offer a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. With Preferred, there are no surprises. You can count on us to deliver on our promises and be there when you need us, as your insurance provider and your employer. Preferred Mutual is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
This role (job) description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification. The duties described are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive to any specific employee. Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Nothing in this position description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between Preferred Mutual Insurance Company and its employees.
The base pay range for this position is $66,287.40 – $103,680.30, paid on a salaried basis for the Senior Property Claims Adjuster. The rate offered to any candidate will be reflective of the candidates experience and any relevant education, certification, or qualifications related to their ability to perform the responsibilities of this position as permitted by law.