Postdoctoral research positions for motivated candidates are available in the laboratory of Joshua I. Goldhaber, M.D., Director of Basic Research Programs and Professor of Cardiology, in the Smidt Heart Institute at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA. The laboratory studies the role of intracellular calcium cycling in cardiac pacemaking, arrhythmia and excitation-contraction coupling in health and cardiac diseases such as Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction. The NIH-funded laboratory employs a variety of techniques including patch clamp, high resolution voltage and calcium mapping, fluorescence photometry, laser scanning confocal microsopy and various molecular techniques. The vibrant research program in the Smidt Heart Institute at Cedars-Sinai, in addition to our existing relationships with UCLA, provides excellent opportunities for career development in cardiac research and mentoring for postdoctoral researchers in preparation for careers in academia or industry. The laboratory URL can be found at: http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Research/Research-Labs/Goldhaber/index.aspx
Working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator and other Research Scientist, the Research Fellow will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period. May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols as well as analyze and interprets data. You may assist in preparation of grant proposals and participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author. This role will not be responsible for generating grant funds.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization is required
- Candidates must have an M.D. and/or Ph.D. in biophysics, biochemistry, physiology, molecular biology, or related field by the time they start their position.
- Demonstrated background in studies of ion channels or transporters regulating cardiac calcium cycling or cardiac pacemaking is required.
- Hands-on experience with calcium or voltage imaging or patch clamping in cardiac cells is required.
- Additional experience in molecular biology, cell culture techniques, and animal handling is a plus. We seek highly motivated and creative candidates with a track record in cardiovascular research who can independently design and execute experiments.
- Candidates must possess good command of both written and spoken English and are expected to write papers as well as applications for extramural funding.
- Applicants should have good organizational skills, and interact/collaborate well with other lab members. Interested individuals should apply by including curriculum vitae, statement of personal objectives, and names and contact information of three references.
Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist – Smidt Heart Institute – Goldhaber Lab
Department: Heart Institute Operations
Business Entity: Academic / Research
Job Category: Academic/Research
Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Base Pay:$64,500.00 – $93,600.00