Principal Investigator, Dr. Katlin Silm, is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join her team!
At Cedars-Sinai our academic culture and environment creates an outstanding opportunity for cross-disciplinary thinking and research while enjoying a larger sense of autonomy, with the freedom to choose when, and with whom, you collaborate. Our research is largely collaborative and team-work oriented, helping to unleash your potential and enjoying intellectual freedom with the ability to make an individual impact and receive recognition for your work. We are setting the benchmark for how medicine can be more effectively delivered by supporting our distinguished staff, specialists, and scientists, to advance discovery, be a mentor to the next generation, and set new standards of care.
Consider what matters most to you. Join us in translating today’s discoveries into tomorrow’s medicine.
The Silm Lab is focused on understanding how the regulation of neurotransmitter release affects the properties of information processing. Recent findings demonstrate that the release of monoamine neuromodulators dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine is regulated differently from the classical synaptic neurotransmitter glutamate (Silm et al., 2019). The lab aims to investigate the molecular machinery responsible for the regulation of neurotransmitter release properties and to understand how these mechanisms are implemented in brain circuits to assure normal brain function. We also focus on neurons that release multiple transmitters to investigate the mechanism and role of dual signaling in a variety of processes from reward processing and cognition to motor control. Our work extends from the investigation of molecular mechanisms of neurotransmitter release in cell culture to studying the role of presynaptic regulation in brain circuit function. To learn more, please visit: Silm Laboratory | Cedars-Sinai.
The Postdoctoral Scientist works independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator and other Research Scientist, the Research Postdoc will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period. The incumbent may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols, and will analyze, compile, and interpret data.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, submissions, publications and presentations but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- May write/modify IRB and IACUC applications.
- May mentor/train research associates, technicians, and students.
- Participation in laboratory meetings, keeping a lab notebook, performing calculations, tabulating data, summarizing methods and results of related experiments and general lab maintenance.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Doctorate degree (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in Neuroscience, Molecular or Cell Biology, or an area directly related to field of research specialization.
Experience and Skills:
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of cell biology and neuroscience during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Technical ability and skill around methods in molecular and cellular biology, biochemistry and murine genetics is highly desirable.
- Experience in electrophysiology, fiber photometry and/or mouse behavior is preferred.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Highly motivated, curious and independent, with excellent work ethic and communication skills.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist – Silm Lab – Center for Neural Science and Medicine
Department: BioMedical Science
Business Entity: Academic / Research
Job Category: Academic/Research
Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Base Pay:$64,500.00 – $93,600.00