When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion, and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it’s just one of the many reasons why we rank as one of the top hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
If you’re ready to be a part of breakthrough research, then we invite you to consider this exciting opportunity and apply today!
As a Postdoctoral Scientist, you will be working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator, Costas Anastassiou, PhD, and Ueli Rutishauser, PhD, in the Department of Neurosurgery, and other Research Scientist. You will be an essential team member in their ongoing effort to understand human brain function spanning across spatiotemporal scales. The core responsibility for this position is to setup computational simulations and data analysis workflows from slice and in vivo brain physiology in humans.
More specifically, you will be responsible for the following:
- Design and conduct biophysical simulations with an existing computational framework allowing simulation of reconstructed, interconnected and biophysically realistic human neurons.
- Analyze simulated and experimental data using state-of-the-art statistical analyses to establish structure-function relationships.
- Compare computational findings with experimental observables to deduce biophysical principles of high-level functioning. Of particular interest will be how cellular, cell type and whole circuit functioning is manifested in the extracellular field in humans.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, but not responsible for generating grant funds
- Publish/present findings in peer-reviewed journals/scientific conferences as author or co-author
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes, and compiles data.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Department-Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- In close collaboration with theoreticians and experimental colleagues, design, implement, and conduct single-neuron and network simulations of human neurons.
- Contribute to ongoing efforts in computational framework development (simulation and data analysis) as well as to scientific questions relevant to the system under investigation.
- Contribute to adjacent projects related to human pathophysiology and neurotherapies.
- Publish/present findings in peer-reviewed journals/scientific conferences.
- Prepare written and oral reports on a regular basis.
- Maintain clear and accurate communication with supervisor, team members, and external collaborators.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization, required.
- PhD degree in Computational Neuroscience, Physics, Applied Mathematics, Bioengineering, or related field, highly preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- Works independently on research projects designed by PI within area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year Postdoctoral appointment.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, analysis, operation, and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
Department-Specific Experience and Skills:
- Strong background in scientific computing.
- Experience in Computational Neuroscience is preferred, but other strong applicants are considered (with background in Computational Physics, Applied Mathematics, Biophysics, and related disciplines).
- Experience with parallel computing is a plus as well as familiarity with high-level programming languages such as Python or Matlab.
- Familiarity with in vitro and in vivo electrophysiological monitoring techniques and analysis.
- Ability to meet aggressive timelines and deliverables in a collaborative environment.
- Strong publication record.
- Experience in pursuing research projects in collaborative fashion.
- Proven independent thinking and flexibility.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Able to perform moderate lifting. Able to sit, stand and walk for prolonged periods of time. Able to read papers and online documents. Able to operate standard office equipment. Able to exercise physical ability and perspective acuity to satisfactorily perform essential job functions.
Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist – Anastassiou & Rutishauser Labs (Computational Experience) – Department of Neurosurgery
Department: Home Dept-Black
Business Entity: Academic / Research
Job Category: Academic/Research
Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Base Pay:$64,500.00 – $93,600.00