Simplified Vehicle Operations Project Engineer-Supernal
Supernal is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. We are designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities. This allows passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
GAMA (General Aviation Manufacturers Association) defines simplified vehicle operations (SVO) as The use of automation coupled with human factors best practices to reduce the quantity of trained skills and knowledge that the pilot or operator of an aircraft must acquire to operate the system at the required level of operational safety. Supernal intends to implement SVO in its aircraft product. To do so, we must allocate pilot skills to either human pilot or system using a documented, rigorous, defensible process. We intend to use FAA documents that define these skills (such as Airmen Certification Standards from commercial fixed wing and rotorcraft as well as instrument standards, modified to accommodate our unique electric vertical take-off and landing vehicle). Then, through a technical and human factors assessment, we will make appropriate allocations along a spectrum of automation levels suited to our needs.
The Simplified Vehicle Operations Project Engineer will lead the technical aspects of this effort.
What you can do:
- Develop a systematic approach that identifies all functions performed by a pilot of our Supernal vehicle
- Define automated ways to replace these pilot functions
- Implement this automation in simulation and onboard prototype vehicles
- Plan and execute the certification of this automation
- Other duties as assigned
What you can contribute:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a technical field
- 5-8 years of professional experience (an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered)
- Broad aerospace systems experience from avionics to pilot operations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proactive delivery of communication and follow up
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- A methodical mindset
- Must have the ability to independently prioritize and accomplish work within time constraints
- Self-motivated and forward-thinking personality
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
You may also be able to contribute:
- Preferred experience certifying pilot task automation (e.g. FMS)
- Preferred human factors or crew resource management experience
- Preferred pilot experience
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Individuals with disabilities may request to be provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at: email@example.com
This position may include access to certain technology and/or software source code, that will be subject to U.S. export control laws. If an export license or other export control authorization is required in connection with your employment, your employment is contingent upon Supernal’s receipt of such license or authorization and approvals and your continued compliance with all conditions and limitations contained in such license or authorization.