Principal Investigator, David Underhill, PhD, is looking for a Research Associate I (RAI) to join the team!
The Cedars-Sinai Inflammatory Bowel and Immunology Research Institute (IBIRI) and the Underhill Lab are seeking a highly motivated Research Associate I (RAI) to provide research support and contribute to our mission of providing word-class health care and the best quality service to our patients and communities. We invite you to consider this exciting opportunity and with your help, we can change the future of healthcare!
A significant area of research in the Underhill Lab centers on understanding how the immune system interacts with commensal microbes in the gut. The lab studies the bacteria and fungi found in the gut and investigates the molecular and cellular mechanisms by which our immune systems respond to, contain, and are instructed by this microbiome. The laboratory makes use of human tissues, mouse models and in vitro cell culture-based approaches. To learn more about Dr. Underhill’s Lab, please visit: https://www.cedars-sinai.org/research/labs/underhill.html
Working under direct supervision, the RAI performs a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of one or more laboratory research projects in a specific area of research. Assists in general laboratory activities, including maintenance of reagents and stocking of supplies. Files and monitors documents. Keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results. Assists in the operation of specialized equipment and machinery. The RAI will be able to perform routine cellular, micro- and molecular biology procedures including, but not limited to Western, Northern blot, DNA/RNA, PCR, protein extraction, cell culture, Immunohistochemistry, and staining. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of routine laboratory tasks and procedures.
- May assist with animal husbandry.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records.
- Transports, processes and logs samples.
- Maintains computer database with relevant clinical information.
- Performs lab maintenance duties, including glassware cleaning and sterilization.
- Maintains stocks of general lab materials, and places orders for lab equipment and supplies.
- Assists new students and fellows at the laboratory.
- Observes and follows safety standards and procedures.
Department Specific Responsibilities:
- Assist lab members in maintaining a safe laboratory working environment and meeting institutional compliance requirements.
- Assisting in managing mouse colonies and animal husbandry
- Assisting in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings.
- Generating and organizing samples.
- Performing procedures that may include, among others, Immunoblots, DNA/RNA PCR, ELISA, cell culture.
- Performing mouse procedures that may include, among others, Intraperitoneal (IP) injections, oral gavage, organ harvest, etc.
Minimum of a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree in biological sciences, required.
Experience and Skills:
- Some experience working in a research lab is preferred.
- Understanding of general research objectives and knowledge of routine laboratory procedures, experimental protocols, and overall lab organization.
- Highly motivated, independently with superior interpersonal, communication, and strong organizational skills.
- Computer skills to include, but not limited to, Excel, Word, Access and PowerPoint.
Working Title: Research Associate I – Underhill Lab – Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
Department: Home Dept – Gastroenterology
Business Entity: Academic / Research
Job Category: Academic/Research
Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Base Pay:$18.00 – $29.87