The Fert-Bober Lab at Department of Cardiology, at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, is seeking a Research Associate to join the team to pursue cutting-edge research pertaining to cellular and molecular mechanisms from inflammation to fibrosis in various cardiac disease with primary focus on post-translational modification, citrullination. As a member of our team you will assist in the development, execution, and analysis of projects.
Working under direct supervision, our Research Associate I will perform a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of one or more laboratory research projects in a specific area of research. You will assist in general laboratory activities, including maintenance of reagents and stocking of supplies. Will file and monitor documents and keep accurate and detailed records of experiments and results. Will assist in the operation of specialized equipment and machinery and observe safety standards and procedures. In this role, you will be able to perform routine cellular, micro- and molecular biology procedures including, but not limited to Western, Northern blot, DNA/RNA, PCR, protein extraction, cell culture, Immunohistochemistry, and staining. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Perform routine cellular, micro- and molecular biology procedures including, but not limited to Western blot, both DNA and RNA extraction, purification, amplification via PCR/RT-PCR, protein extraction, cell culture, immunohistochemistry, and staining.
- Plans designs and conducts technical and complex research projects independently and in consultation with supervisor.
- Analyzes and evaluates research data utilizing computers and provides interpretations requiring significant knowledge of a specialized area of research. Searches literature, utilizing all available resources including electronic, regarding new methodology and designs experiments accordingly.
- Contributes to the development of research documentation for publication and/or prepares technical reports, papers and/or records.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs a variety of routine laboratory tasks and procedures.
- Keeps accurate and detailed project records of experiments and results.
- May assist with animal husbandry.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records.
- Transports, processes and logs samples.
- Maintains computer database with relevant clinical information.
- Performs lab maintenance duties, including glassware cleaning and sterilization.
- Maintains stocks of general lab materials, and places orders for lab equipment and supplies.
- Assists new students and fellows at the laboratory.
- Assists in the operation of specialized equipment and machinery.
- Observes and complies with safety standards and procedures.
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts Degree in biological sciences is required
- Understanding of general research objectives.
- Working knowledge of database management, personal computers, and presentation and imaging software.
- Understanding of general research objectives. Familiar with routine laboratory procedures and experimental protocols.
- Must possess computer skills to include, but not limited to, Excel and Word.
- Prior experience in general laboratory techniques is necessary, training in lab specific procedures will be provided on site.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills motivated to work as part of a team.
- Collect, record, and organize experimental data with attention to detail.
Working Title: Research Associate I – Smidt Heart Institute – Fert-Bober Lab
Department: Heart Institute Operations
Business Entity: Academic / Research
Job Category: Academic/Research
Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Base Pay:$18.00 – $29.87