Grow your career at Cedars-Sinai!
The academic research laboratory of Dr. Jennifer Van Eyk within the Advanced Clinical Biosystems Research Institute at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is seeking a dedicated and motivated Mass Spectrometry technician (Research Associate II) to join our team.to join our team of scientist researchers, clinicians, bioinformatics, mass spectrometrists and proteomics experts. While training will be provided, our ideal candidate would have experience in proteomics or metabolomics, and mass spectrometry. You will work with senior staff and scientists to assist in the operation, maintenance, and quality control of the mass spectrometry systems for large scale studies. You will also engage in protocol development and optimization and will aid in the conversion of successful protocols into standard operating procedures especially for new or emerging proteomic approaches including single cell and high throughput drug/perturbations cellular screening to meet our needs within our multifaceted research program that blends high end technology and projects with clear clinical relevance.
Working under direct supervision, you will perform routine and increasingly sophisticated laboratory tasks and procedures and develops technical expertise in one or more areas relevant to research projects. Will participate in research activities involving all aspects of the research process, to include, but not limited to; investigation, technical, testing/validation of results, and report findings. You will perform a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of laboratory research projects and will observe and align with safety standards and procedures, assist in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings, and assist in general laboratory maintenance. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
CRUCIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results, and assist in identifying and troubleshooting of unexpected results.
- Orders laboratory supplies and supports laboratory operations.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records and may coordinate use of lab equipment.
- Assists in the operation of niche equipment, as required by the area of research.
- Orients research laboratory assistants or lower level research associates and undergraduate student researchers on day-to-day lab operations and routine procedures.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DESCRIPTION AND TASKS:
- Run and maintain LC-MS instruments as part of our LC-MS team as directly instructed.
- Prepare quality control standards.
- Supervise and report on weekly Quality Control assessments of sample preparation and instrument performance.
- Perform and detail mass spectrometer calibrations.
- Maintain instrument and consumable elog-books.
- Arrange visits of external service engineers to ensure instrument down-time is minimized.
- Work closely with the MS leads and scientists to develop and optimize new MS protocols and adapt successful workflows into new Standard Operating Protocols for the core.
- Responsible for materials ordering, receiving and inventory.
Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts Degree in biological sciences is required
- Minimum of one (1) year of research laboratory experience is required
- Understanding of general research objectives.
- Experience with routine laboratory procedures, experimental protocols, and overall lab organization.
- Must be highly motivated and work independently.
- Must have outstanding interpersonal, communication and organization skills and the ability to work across company subject areas and functional units, and computer application experience.
- Must possess digital literacy to include, but not limited to, Excel and Word.
- Ability to simultaneously lead multiple clerical trials, and attention to details.
- While some prior experience with mass spectrometry is preferred, wet bench experience is required.
Working Title: Mass Spectrometry Technician (Research Associate II) Smidt Heart Institute – Van Eyk Lab
Department: Heart Institute Operations
Business Entity: Academic / Research
Job Category: Academic/Research
Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Base Pay:$21.26 – $36.14