Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of Disney s Parks and Resorts business segment. Representing more than 150 disciplines, its talented teams of Imagineers are responsible for the creation – from concept initiation through installation and commissioning – of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
What we re looking for
Principal Mechanical Engineer to join the department delivering animatronic figures and show action equipment where durability, long life, reliability and safety are a must. We are responsible for various engineering tasks: concepts, mock ups, design, hazard analysis, FMEA & system safety, FEA, design reviews, documentation and the overall functionality to fulfill the creative intent. The candidate will be responsible for leading and mentoring engineers and designers through various phases of the engineering process, which includes design from concept development through final design, production, installation and commissioning for a variety of theme park attractions.
- Mentor engineers and designers to produce ingenious designs that exceed expectations.
- Participate with peers in the development of critical Disney standards and practices.
- Enable teams to resolve technical issues that involve difficult trade-offs while providing a positive environment
- Develop & negotiate technical requirements from high level experience/story descriptions and artwork for complex projects
- Manage entire scope to conceive, design, & deliver a wide variety of innovative show elements including animatronic figures and show action equipment ensuring durability, reliability, and safety while meeting creative intent and requirements
- Be responsible for certifying Safety rated Show elements meet Disney standards and local standards
- Identify and qualify new vendor/equipment providers in order to identify opportunities for outside collaborations
- Represent Show Mechanical Engineering to the project core team, outside vendors and Disney Leadership
- Collaborate with the project procurement team to bid and award outside vendor contracts of high value
What you bring to the role
- Ability to see the big picture and concisely communicate the project vision
- Ability to proactively solve problems, adjust scope, and update management
- Extensive engineering experience to oversee and drive an engineering culture of technical excellence
- Ability to manage large, complex vendor design, fabrication and commissioning activities
- Ability to write and review technical documents such as Requirements Specifications, Theory of Operations, Scopes of Work, Hazard Analyses and Acceptance Test Procedures
- Thorough knowledge of and familiarity with US industry and international standards (e.g. NEC, CEC, NFPA, ASTM, IEEE, ANSI, ISO, EN, etc.), as well as, Disney standards (required)
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing and quality control processes
- Strong hardware knowledge and hands-on field installation and test experience
- Superior “clean sheet” design sensibilities
- Strong knowledge of engineering design tools e.g. SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Navisworks or BIM 360, ANSYS or other FEA program, MATLAB
- Willingness to travel both domestic and international as required.
- Availability to work various shifts commensurate with global project requirements (typically 8am 5 pm)
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience
- Professional Engineer License
- Themed Entertainment experience
- B.S in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or Engineering Mechanics.
- Masters in Engineering
The Walt Disney Company is the global leader in high-quality entertainment and innovative technology. Begin a career that delivers unparalleled creative content and experiences to audiences around the world.
Associated topics: aerodynamic, boiler, catia, machine, mechanical, mechanic, motor, rotordynamic, thermal, turbomachinery