Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion at Getty
Getty believes diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion are essential to our excellence and to the execution of our mission. The Getty community values differences in the pursuit of inquiry and knowledge, mutual understanding, respect, trust, transparency, and cooperation. We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve and includes individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Individuals of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Hiring Pay Scale
$108,779 – $141,422 Annually
Are you interested in helping design web applications that showcase some of the best art in the world? Getty Digital is looking for a Lead User Experience Designer to join our team.
We are looking for someone who can provide design experience, mentorship, and team management as we support and extend our existing design system across new pages, applications, and use cases. This team works closely with several software development teams and collaborates with colleagues in Communications to design the look and feel of major software initiatives across the Getty as well as iterate on and improve the UX of existing applications and projects. You will research, design, test, and help implement experiences that share Getty’s resources and information with the larger world.
This work includes the main Getty.edu website, our museum collections, our archives, digital publications, and other web-based applications across Getty. Our ideal candidate loves brainstorming, ideating and problem solving, and isn’t afraid of a blank page. You’re comfortable with turning user requirements into wireframes, and then working with engineers to create usable design components that make up a cohesive, elegant, and user-friendly application.
The Getty is among the most prestigious cultural heritage organizations in the world, dedicated to furthering the study of the history of art. You will work on an amazing campus amongst fabulous art, architecture, and archives, partnering with world-class scientists, curators, librarians, archivists, and academics. We offer 4 weeks of vacation a year, every other Friday off, excellent benefits, and a very strong commitment to balancing work and personal life.
At Getty Digital, we’re re-imagining how we can use technology to provide access to our campus, collections, and scholarship. We intend to provide a deeply linked, consistent experience for scholars, researchers, and enthusiasts as they explore the complex information held across the Getty.
We believe that the best software is built by teams with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. We strive to provide a collaborative environment where all team members have the opportunity to learn, grow, and contribute to the software we build and the achievement of Getty’s overall vision.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Lead and define UX strategy for Getty’s public-facing web properties
- Manage a team of UX researchers and designers
- Design, test, and improve interfaces for multiple devices/platforms at all levels of fidelity, including wireframes, static comps, and interactive prototypes
- Design, test, and improve components that can be reused as a part of the Getty atomic design library
- Work with engineers, project managers, and stakeholders to define requirements for new applications and add new features to existing ones
- Collaborate in multidisciplinary teams – articulating design rationale and utilizing consensus-building abilities to arrive at clear next steps
- Gather and integrate client/user feedback to iterate concepts, wireframes, prototypes and design comps
- Work with external agencies and vendors to facilitate asset handoff and adherence to Getty brand standards
- Maintaining the visual brand identity of the company across all applications
- Help craft and document policies and practices that further UX and digital design across the organization
- Represent Getty within the larger field through presentations, papers, and networking events
- May supervise others
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 7 years of experience or a combination of education and relevant experience
All employees must be fully-vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as a condition of employment. Exemptions from this requirement as a reasonable accommodation due to medical contraindication, disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- An interest in the work of cultural heritage and the arts
- A proven track record of designing high-quality digital products that demonstrate the depth of your design leadership skills; illustrated in a portfolio or case studies.
- Experience in software, design systems, and interface design, not just marketing and graphic design
- Experience managing or mentoring other designers—helping a team be the best that they can be
- A clear aesthetic sense as well as the ability to work within an established brand structure
- Full command of digital design tools, with a preference for experience in Figma.
- Experience in designing, overseeing, and interpreting user research and testing
- A deep knowledge of web accessibility, human-centered and universal design principles, and WCAG 2.1
- Comfort in presenting both your own and your team’s work, managing and overseeing discussions and design reviews, and communicating to stakeholders and executives
- Ability and desire to collaborate with developers, project managers, and subject matter experts to ensure solutions are implementable and meet business and user needs
- Tact, diplomacy, and ability to work with a wide variety of people
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to bridge functional and technical resources by communicating effectively with others
- Able to be on-site in Los Angeles at least one day a week
Benefits and Perks
Here are just some examples that Getty offers/provides for full-time employees:
- Medical, Dental & Vision – Getty pays 75%-95% of the premium, depending on the plan elected. Coverage starts on date of hire.
- 403(b) Plan – with up to 5% Employer Match
- Getty contribution of 6% to 401(a) plan
- Educational Assistance
- Vacation, Sick and Personal Days
- Many positions have bi-weekly Off-Fridays
- 12 Paid Holidays
- On-Site Fitness Center at Getty Center
- Community Involvement
To learn more about our comprehensive benefits and long list of perks, go to Getty HR.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status.